Tuesday 19 February 2008

Today 19/02/08



No, Merlin and Toffee haven't had a make over! I was watching a Natural History program with my daughter a couple of days ago and was amazed to see a bachelor herd of Zebras indulging in a game of 'bitey-face'. Many of their games and movements were the same as Toffee and Merlin as they took turns in being 'boss'.

The next day, I noticed the same behavior in the two geldings in the next field. Since beginning to study equine behavior I realise just how much I've learned and how easy it is to learn their language simply by sitting and 'being' with them. I watch my own body as much as theirs so that I can discover which movements they respond to. It's a great journey, and the further along the path I walk, the more I am able to communicate with my dear Merlin, and I can appreciate just how hard it has been for Toffee to understand me when I've been 'muttering' in his language.

3 comments:

SweetAnnee said...

YEAH Merlin has stopped biting!!
give him a sugar cube for me!
fondly, Deena

Kim said...

Thank you Deena, although he did 'have' my gloves today. He likes to keep me guessing I think :)

Love Kim x

Sharon J said...

I studied dog behaviour so can understand what you're saying. It's amazing just how much animals are able to communicate without words. Fascinating stuff.