Saturday 2 February 2008

Today - 02/02/08

It was a beautiful day today, but the wind was bitterly cold, so I rushed around doing the mucking out, hay and buckets as quickly as possible.

Merlin and Toffee went up on the spare paddock for a couple of hours, despite the ground being sooo boggy. Our time was spent digging a trench around the field shelter to divert the water when it rains again. Well, actually, Andrew dug the trench and I filled it with dirty great flint stones to aid the drainage.

Merlin and Toffee were in very high spirits and ran from the very top field down to the bottom one when I called them for their tea. They then indulged in a long game of 'bitey-face' as they were obviously too stuffed for anything more energetic. As dusk settled on the field, I was lucky enough to witness a most unusual occurrence. Toffee seemed to check his mental watch, and decided that it was bedtime. He herded Merlin off up to the field shelter, where they each went into their separate sides and tucked into their hay. As I was shutting the gate to leave, in the twilight, I could just make out a little white face watching me from the warm depth of the shelter, 'Sleep Tight', I whispered.

2 comments:

Bovey Belle said...

Horses are creatures of habit. In the summer, ours will go for a "hooley" around the field, always about 7.30 p.m. I don't know if that's when the midges torment them worst, but they always do it. Fahly is always stood waiting at the gate when he knows it is time for bed, but if the weather is foul he comes down early and looks mournful!

Kim said...

It makes me laugh that mine put themselves to bed! Wish my children would!