Friday 1 February 2008

Today - 01/02/08

Still not much happening at the field at the moment, due mostly to the weather. Merlin however has been extremely affectionate this week and has decided this will be his primary means of communication. Which can't be at all bad.

Even on the days that I can't work him in the school, I still ask him to back up, stand and walk on before he approaches his food bucket. Sometimes I don't even need to give the command verbally as he is so used to my hand signals that I can see him watching me to anticipate what comes next. I especially love it when I give the walk on signal from right across the field and he comes straight to me. I know he is responding to me and wasn't simply heading my way to start with, because he has this way of swinging his head when he's pleased with himself. I don't mean the arab style figure of eight, that can mean anything from impatience to mischief (although Monty Roberts suggests this is a form of apology), no Merlin's head swing is more like John Travolta doing his 'walk' in Saturday Night Fever! Am I suggesting that Merlin is a bit of a show off? You betcha!!!

Oh, I nearly forgot to add, that when I was in the Tack shop today, I got talking to a lady about our horses. She started asking about Merlin and suddenly shrieked when I mentioned that he was a stallion. Long story short, she has asked that I contact her when he is older, so that she may put him to her Highland mare. Wow, a possible wife already and he's still only two!!!!

No comments: