Tuesday 15 January 2008

Today - 15/01/08

Oooh, what horrible weather. No training done today, but I did feel like I'd crossed a milestone with Merlin.
For some time now, we've been having problems teaching him about personal space. He knows exactly what his boundaries are and lets us know for sure if we cross them, but he hasn't a great deal of respect for our personal space. If he wants something, he'll charge in and occasionally push us over in his excitement. He's a very loveable little boy, but clearly doesn't know how to ask for a hug or scratch. In the past this has only been a minor issue, but since we lost Oliver in December it's escalated. Merlin's world was shattered with the loss of his best friend and father figure and he reacted in a very angry way, not allowing any of us to approach him unless we carried a headcollar. Once the headcollar was on, he set to work as normal, as he enjoys the little lessons I've been giving him. I've been trying all manner of ways to get close to him, but he just turns his head away. Toffee's depression was bad enough to deal with, but Toffee at least would let us comfort him, seeing Merlin so hurt and angry left us at a loss to know how to handle him.
Because of the lousy weather today, all I could do was sit in the field shelter and make sure that Merlin had a good rest out of the rain. I've known for a while that Toffee was keeping the field shelter to himself, but it was confirmed this morning when I arrived to find Toffee warm and fluffy and Merlin soaked and very grumpy. Whilst they ate their breakfast, I mucked out their bed and then put in two huge piles of hay. Every time I had to move close to Merlin, I gave him a scratch or rub on the head or neck, eventually he stopped avoiding me, and just gave in. Although he still maintained some distance. That was good enough for me. But when I had to leave, it became apparent that Toffee would simply drive Merlin back out into the rain and that wasn't good enough for me, so I divided the shelter in half with some white tape and posts. As I was doing this, I sensed Merlin behind me. He came closer and leant on my back. As I turned my head towards him, he lifted his head and rested his chin on my shoulder. It was such a loving and gentle moment, that it has stayed with me all day :)

This evening, both boys were in their half of the shelter and were a lot happier together.


Although Toffee did still look a bit put out!

No comments: