Wednesday 16 January 2008

Part 3

Merlin very quickly settled in to his new home and it wasn't long before he started to show his true personality, as this photo shows. As I was fiddling with my camera, he decided to creep up on me, thinking that I couldn't see him! I love the shape of his little back foot as he creeps closer. If I'd been quick enough, the next photo would have been of his belly as he did a little cat jump up at me before tearing off around the paddock in glee.



Merlin got along very nicely with Oliver, but Toffee had his nose put sooo far out of joint. Strangely, Oliver decided to look after Merlin and even let him eat from his bucket, which was incredible as Oliver NEVER shared food. They were often to be found eating from the same hay pile and if Toffee ever got too bossy, then Merlin would run and hide behind Oliver. They soon became known as 'Oliver and his mini-me', especially when they wore matching rugs.



Merlin also has a funny habit of rolling in his bucket when he's finished eating his dinner. One particular day, I'd put a little brewers yeast in his feed and he loved it sooo much that he rolled clear across the field and landed in Oliver's hay pile. I'm not sure who was more shocked, but golly did we laugh. Here he is rolling after a good feed! Mind you,it can't be good for his digestion!!!!



And rolling in his hay in the snow!

2 comments:

Strawberry Lane said...

Now this is a must read ... about Merlin. How adorable he is!

Thanks for sending me to his blog!

Must add him to my "read" list, so others can enjoy him as well.

Kim said...

Oooh, thank you Strawberry, what a nice thing to write. My husband was comparing Merlin to your beautiful horses, Royal and Ebony, and said that Merlin could probably stand under their bellies!
I actually managed to read all of Ebony's story last night, as before, I couldn't get past the first few pictures without falling to bits. Thank you for sharing your stories :)

Kim x