Wednesday 22 October 2008

The Man!

Oh my poor boy was terrorized by the most appalling apparition today. But don't worry, he was very brave and walked safely behind me until Andrew removed the fire breathing, pony eating LEEKS!!! Yes, I did say leeks. I'd picked them for tea and left them on a bucket outside the tin shed that we use for storage. I swear to goodness that Merlin was almost 14hands high as he pranced across the paddock to confront the monsters. I tried valiantly (sort of) not to laugh at him, but it was very hard. Especially as the wind lifted a few leaves as I was brushing him and he nearly took me out in fright. He came at me broadside, and when we connected he leaped almost vertically upwards, because he'd forgotten that I was there - brushing him! Poor baby, I nearly hugged him, but you don't do that to Stallions, they don't like it, wounds their pride or something. So I gave him a manly pat and we carried on.

The neck reining was fabulous though, and I was steering him with a light tug on the rein. He's picked it up so quickly is really loving the work, and when I bring him his bucket, he shouts 'Yes! I am the man!'

4 comments:

Strawberry Lane said...

Well, leeks are very frightening, indeed! What a great description! He sure is "the man".

Kim said...

Ah how nice to hear of the sweet symphony of success! Oh and the leeks! I about fell off my chair laughing. Don't tell Merlin though, tell him I said "he da man"! Funny how things you just can't imagine would scare him set him skating on the edge...

Willow said...

Just discovered this after reading your other blog yesterday! What a handsome chap! He's fab, and it sounds as though you're making great progress with him. As for scary leeks, well, yes I can fully understand that - my daughter's loan horse, Ebony, is scared of sparrows, guineapig noises, etc. but will tolerate a strange cat walking right between her legs without batting an eyelid!
Willow x

Kim said...

Thank you for the lovely comments, he can still do no wrong :)

We have turned the corner Kim and it is sweet!

Thanks for dropping by Willow, it's amazing what sets them off!

Kim x