Friday 3 July 2009

News!

Hokay! So I don't want to say too much and jinx things, but I've made contact with some wonderful people in the South that also keep Eriskay ponies. One lovely man has been breeding them for over 35years! He is hilarious, slightly irreverent, and a font of all knowledge. He is the man that has bred Mish, featured on Oakmoon, and I'll call him Mr.F. He assures me that he's in his 90's but I find that hard to believe but wouldn't dream of arguing with him! Meeting his ponies was such a joy.

This is Nonnie, the mare and Mish her daughter. Mish is short for a gaelic word that means 'Water of Life' or Whiskey :)



There is also someone else that I've spoken to who is incredibly passionate about keeping the Eriskay breed alive. I think she is a crusader, but is funny and interesting with it. We have children of a similar age and many more things in common, so it could be interesting when we get to meet in person.

I suppose the most important thing though is that Merlin has been offered the chance to be inspected for his stallion licence. This is HOOOGE and I'm so very happy that he has this chance. If he fails, nothing changes. He will always be my special stallion and he will carry those important genes with him wherever he goes.

Here he is in his new gift from me. It's a lightweight fly sheet and an attempt at keeping off the flies and Toffee's teeth! It would be awful if he turned up for his inspection looking like a scabby dog! The neck piece is held together with baler twine though, as his stallion crest is too big to fit in it and I didn't want him to strangle just for the desire of a smooth coat!


He is so unhappy and asking nicely if Andrew would 'just get this bloody embarrasing thing off me!'
I think he looks ready to go jousting, personally, and always loved 'My Little Pony' (actually that last bit's a lie. I hated my little pony because I'd never, ever seen a blue one in real life!)

2 comments:

Kim said...

Oh Kim I am so glad for you! Just give him a chance, I bet he'll wow them all! Just make sure to get the smurf coat off before they show up! ;)

Kim said...

Thanks Kim, fingers crossed :)

Kim x