Monday 10 March 2008

Today - 10/03/08



Right, I said that this was an honest account of Merlin's life with us, and I meant it. No punches pulled here. Above is a picture of Merlin's replacement if he continues to play up.

On the whole Merlin has been a model pony, doing everything I asked and leading and backing up perfectly, in the school and out on the roads. Unfortunately his behavior today was unforgivable. He has been touchy because of the weather, but as he's been so attentive and even calling across the field to me, I let my guard drop. I was fooled into thinking he was behaving like Oliver, but he isn't Oliver, he's a little stallion with raging hormones.

As I was mucking out the field shelter Merlin made to grab at me a couple of times, even coming close to my face. I growled at him and he backed off. But then as my back was to him he grabbed my coat and unfortunately a chunk of my back and bit me damn hard. I shouted at him and threw a rubber glove right at him as he ran out of the shelter and hid round by the water butts.

The fact that he ran away and hid , gave me no satisfaction as he shouldn't have done it in the first place. I have an excellent book by a lady that keeps Arab stallions, and I've been in correspondence with her too. I agree with her statements that they don't think we are human shaped horses - they know we are different otherwise we would seriously be in the pooh! The trouble is, he now thinks I am 'his' and therefore he can boss me around and I'm not having it. I know that already his 'services' are in demand, as there are no others like him in the South, but that's not the point. If he does this again, I'm selling him, and someone else can have the problem.

What's upsetting me the most is that I've gone from my gentle giant who always protected me, regardless of his own safety, to this little ****. I'm not joking when I say I'd rather have another kitten!

2 comments:

Kim said...

Oh my, I understand. There aren't very many congenital rouges, and he doesn't sound like one. That would be easy, no regrets. He is a handsome boy. I hope he settles for you, some things are just too much trouble to solve, especially if you don't simply live in the stable and have a life. Good luck, Kim

Kim said...

Thanks, Kim. He is handsome, but sadly knows it as well! Perhaps it would be easier if I did live in the Stable!!

Kim x